Sunday, October 19, 2008

VROC - Sacramento Market Club and on to Rio Vista!

Pics are from top to bottom, text for a pic is under the pic, click on a pic for a larger pic...

Don VSP's blog:
http://tinyurl.com/6bhks3 PLEASE LOOK!! He has much more info....

So Don VSP wanted some lunch at the Market Club in Sacramento, between Don and Sherm, I'm sure they've been in all the good eateries, at least, west of the Rockies!!! GBG

Of course when Don VSP has a ride, I get to ride many 100s of miles just to get to and from.. plus see some great roads and great eats... got in 315 today.. 0830 to 1600....

THIS place had me stumped!! I pulled up at the right address... and it was nothing but warehouses... the address was right so I went in sloooooo... the pavement was not good and the place looked a tad run down... I putted along... warehouses... and said to myself, What the !*#%)_*%! OVER????!!!!!

After circling the place, TADA!!!!!!!!!


I stumbled across the Market Club!!! Now THIS place I'd'a never found....Don VSP said they used the upstairs as a meeting place for Asian Americans in the 40s as they were not welcome in too many places..

Let me put this in perspective....


Trucks and loading docks every which way.... left


right....


I only had to go 135 miles to get there at 1100, and arrived at 1035 so took a walk... Here's the greeting at the gate... STOP .... NO TRESPASSING.... and razor wire.... Now you REALLY have to be curious to go in here.... GBG

Right place and time... Don VSP finally arrives... talking to David J and Phil T... Goldie on the left..



Phil T talking to Yvonne and Paul...


So in for lunch we went... the pic in the back was of this place in it's heyday, in the 30s...

Just noticed that the pic got the back of Paul, Phil T, Don VSP looking at it and David J...


I tried to get a closeup of the inscription... I think it says:

The Sacramento's Farmers Market Celebration
------ can't make the middle line ----
July 25, 1937 5th and Y Sacramento, California


So I had the hamburger and eggs breakfast... folks this plate was HUGE!!!!!!! I got about 1/3 of it down!


David J's in front and Don VSP upper left.. I would've ordered a 1/2 order if I'd'a known! Yvonne and Paul split a pork tenderloin.... it was 12" x 6"!!! HUGE! and all at reasonable prices!


So after we left, we rode the river for a while and Ron "Valdez" Fabion and wife Patti, and Greg joined us in route, so were were up to 7 bikes with 2 - 2ups! Nice turnout!

David J got a call from his wife that she needed him at home so he pealed off after the rest stop....


Waiting to get on the ferry boat...


Land HO!!!!!!!!!!!! GBG


Looking west, you can see the towers of the drawbridge at Rio Vista. Stopped for gas and a pause, then out and around the windmills. After that I beat feet for home, another 100 miles to go!

Lotsa twisty roads, great food and friends!! BTW... After finishing editing this post... I'm still full!!!! and this is almost 8 PM!!!!!! Whew!!!!

Thanks Don VSP for another tour of norcal!!

No comments: